Nothing beats being given the green light to return home after a surgical procedure or hospitalization. What a relief it is to come through the front door, settle into a favorite chair, and relax. Now, life can get back to normal, right?
For many people, recovery after surgery is not quite that fast or simple. This is especially true for people who live alone. There are:
- Post-surgery instructions to follow
- Prescriptions to pick up and take according to the proper schedule and directions
- Lifestyle and dietary changes to make
- Follow-up appointments and tests to schedule and get to
- Pain and other symptoms to manage
- And more
How can you or someone you love recover as fully and quickly as possible?
The Vital Role of Home Care in Improving Recovery After Surgery
An in-home caregiver is an essential component to the recovery process—and that process begins, ideally, even before the hospitalization occurs. Our home care experts can create a transitional plan of care to make sure all needs are met before, during, and after surgery, to help individuals get back to living the lives they want sooner.
Here are some of the many ways we can help:
We can meet with you in the comfort of home to talk through the upcoming procedure and formulate a plan to ensure all of the I’s are dotted and t’s are crossed. Pre-hospitalization services include:
- Arranging for transportation and accompaniment to the hospital at the time required
- Shopping for healthy groceries according to any dietary restrictions
- Preparing meals to stock the freezer for easy reheating
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Evaluating the home for fall hazards
- Coordinating the delivery of any necessary medical equipment that will be needed during recovery, such as a walker, wheelchair, bedside commode, etc.
- And more
While in the hospital, we can:
- Pick up prescriptions
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- Make a list of medications and potential side effects to watch for
- Run any other errands needed
- Provide bedside companionship in the hospital
- And more
Once the discharge date and time have been determined, we can:
- Offer accompanied transportation home from the hospital, help with walking, and getting safely settled in
- Provide medication reminders to ensure meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Monitor for any changes in condition or side effects and report them immediately to prevent a re-hospitalization
- Prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, transfers, etc.
- Serve as a companion to engage in conversations, card games, puzzles, hobbies, and any other activities of interest
- And more
Let our caregiving experts help ease the stress and worry of an upcoming surgical procedure or hospitalization and pave the way to a smoother recovery with customized transitional care services.
You can reach us any time at 877-71-ABRIO to request a free in-home consultation to learn more about our post-surgical and other home care services in Flagstaff, Yuma, Mesa, Phoenix, Kingman, and throughout the surrounding areas.